- 18 — degrees Fahrenheit at the event’s start.
- 22-25 — wind speed, in miles per hour, throughout the event.
- Over 30 — number of people who gave up a holiday morning and volunteered despite the weather
- 34 — number of trash grabbers provided or brought by friends of the Mount Vernon Trail.
- 2 — number of bald eagles who came by to supervise the proceedings.
- 59 — bags of trash removed from Belle Haven Park.
- 30-40 — estimated weight, in pounds, of the most interesting trash find: a couch cushion that had frozen into a solid block of ice.
- 2 — number of pickup trucks required to haul all of the trash out of the park.
- Lots and lots — number of tacos eaten by the invigorated and hungry volunteers at our post-event taco gathering.
Thank you to everyone who came out to make the Mount Vernon Trail a little bit better. You can tell a trail is loved when folks are willing to come out in freezing weather.
Check out the Mount Vernon Gazette’s article on our event: http://www.mountvernongazette.com/documents/2019/jan/23/mount-vernon-gazette-january-23-2018/