The National Park Service (NPS) is seeking public comment on a proposed plan and environmental assessment to improve the southern portion of the George Washington Memorial Parkway and the Mount Vernon Trail. The project would improve safety and address maintenance needs along the parkway and the trail. Comments will be accepted through Jan. 4.
The road and trail improvements being considered would enhance the visitor experience for drivers, pedestrians and cyclists. Potential improvements to the road include the implementation of a new road diet (reducing lanes through pavement striping to improve safety) in some areas, new crosswalks and intersection changes. Potential safety enhancements for the trail could include trail widening and intersection improvements.
The project area includes the southern portion of the 15.2-mile parkway from Arlington Memorial Bridge to Mount Vernon. The project area also includes the majority of the 18-mile Mount Vernon Trail, which extends from Theodore Roosevelt Island and the intersection with the Custis Trail in Arlington to Mount Vernon. The portion of the parkway and trail within the City of Alexandria would not be part of this project. See letter from Superintendent
How to get involved
Engaging with you is a critical part of our preliminary engineering and planning process. Your feedback will be used to refine project designs and to support the analysis of any environmental impacts. Anyone interested in learning more about the project and providing input can participate in the following ways:
- Virtual public meeting: The NPS will host a virtual public meeting on Tuesday, December 6, at 7 p.m., EST using GoTo Webinar. The meeting will last approximately 1.5-hours and there will be an opportunity to submit questions. You do not need to pre-register for the meeting.
- At the time of the meeting, click here to join on your computer or mobile device and enter the Webinar ID (Webinar ID: 314-024-315) and your email. If you do not have GoTo Webinar you will be prompted to install a small file to your computer or download the app on your mobile device.
- You can call into the meeting (no video) using the toll-free phone number and conference ID:
Call in number: (877) 309-2074
Phone Conference ID: 278-447-448
- Online: You can submit comments online or view additional information at https://parkplanning.nps.gov/GWMP_South. Comments are requested by January 4, 2023. The public meeting recording will be posted at this site for you to review if you are not able to attend the live session.
- Mail: Mail your written comments postmarked by January 4, 2023, to:
Attn: GWMP South and MVT Plan/EA
700 George Washington Mem Parkway
McLean, VA 22101
2 thoughts on “National Park Service seeks public input on proposed plan to improve south section of George Washington Memorial Parkway and Mount Vernon Trail ”
When will the improvements begin? The trail is getting more dangerous. I was told in 2021 it was out for bid. Warm weather is coming and the trail will be busier soon. Trail improvements and trail safety need to be addressed without further delay.
Trail construction for the northern half is likely in 2026. The Virginia SmartScale grant to rebuild the trail in Arlington and Alexandria was awarded in 2021 with FY26 funds. NPS has begun the surveying and engineering work as well as the compliance work, which the Environmental Assessment is part of. We’re out on the trail every Saturday making safety improvements. Trail bumps have been removed between Belle View Blvd and Four Mile Run we’ve begun work on bumps in Arlington.