Arlington County and the Virginia Department of Transportation are undertaking a redesign of the Boundary Channel Drive interchange with 395 that will provide a new trail connection to the Mount Vernon Trail. The project would provide a safer and more direct link between Long Bridge Drive and the MVT and improve access to LBJ Memorial Grove.
Materials from the presentation are available at: https://projects.arlingtonva.us/projects/boundary-channel-drive-interchange/
Public comment is open at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5K29BJC until December 27th. The Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail encourage trail users to provide comments on this fantastic new trail connection. Our thoughts as VDOT enters the design phase, which you are welcome to borrow for your comments:
1. This project is great and will provide a new trail connection to the Mount Vernon Trail and LBJ Memorial Grove.
2. The turn radii of the interchanges should be tighter to slow vehicle traffic. This will help prevent vehicle crashes as well as pedestrian and cyclist crashes.
3. The trail and interchanges should include lighting.
4. The crosswalks should be raised to slow vehicle traffic to reduce the risk of crashes.
5. The crosswalks should have Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFBs) activated automatically when pedestrians and cyclists approach to reduce the risk of crashes with motor vehicles.
6. The exit ramps from 395 currently present a long runway that encourages fast motor vehicle travel. Engineering should done to ensure vehicles slow as they exit including curved lanes, rumble strips and lane narrowing.
7. The project should include trail signage to help direct trail users to and from the Mount Vernon Trail as well nearby facilities such as bathrooms, recreation areas and businesses.